Jan 11, 2009

Compliments

The subject came up between me and 2 other colleagues: Giving Compliments.


What is a compliment? A compliment is an expression of praise, admiration, or congratulation, according to Dictionary.com. (Of course, I knew you knew that.)


See, we have come to know a certain someone who seems so liberal with his compliments that when they are given, they seem insincere and they aren't taken seriously.


I had a light-bulb moment and said:


"Compliments are like currency. Give too much of it away and they lose their value."



So my advice when giving a compliment is:

1. Give it sincerely.
2. Make sure you mean it.
3. And, uh, ration it.

[akcherly ah, points 1 and 2 mean the same thing, but 3 points look better than 2 :-p]


I, however, contra to all that I've written, need to learn to give compliments because there is always something good in everyone that is always commendable.

Unpaid compliments have no value either. So there.


======================================

Since I'm in the mood to quote...

"I hate careless flattery, the kind that exhausts you
in your effort to believe it." ~Wilson Mizner
I resort to doing this to create space
"I can live for two months on a good compliment." ~Mark Twain
I resort to doing this to create space
======================================

0 point(s) of view: